The Italian Almanac

fathers

Italian News - March 20

The vast majority of Italian youths would like to swap their fathers for someone richer and more successful, such as Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, according to a survey published on Friday.

The poll of Italians aged between 15 and 24 said only 10 percent of those questioned were happy to stick with their dads. The other 90 percent were decidedly unhappy, with 63 percent complaining that their fathers hadn't built good enough careers and 58 percent saying they hadn't accumulated enough wealth.

Asked who would be the ideal father figure, 67 percent named a popular television personality, Paolo Bonolis. The second choice was Berlusconi - Italy's richest man - who had an approval rating of 59 percent.